Sunday, October 21, 2012

One year later... in retrospect

October 21st, 2011, was the first day of the rest of my life. It's very hard to believe it's been a year.

On October 20th, I left a company and job that had been part of my life for much of my adult life. It was the only life I'd known, as an adult. In upper management, I was in a fast forward life style, a true type -A, trying to not only run my department there, but balance life at home with my family and friends. And I was doing it. I thought. I had a 20 minute commute to and from work, worked on average 10 hour days, and was in a high stress level for most of those 10 hours.

Making the change to staying home, and working part time, has been one of the most difficult, yet most rewarding things I've ever done. A year later, my life is so different. I've spoken about living a "new normal" before, and that could not be more true than right now.

I am working part time at a small store here in town, helping with catering. And I also sub teach. So three or four days a week, I'm working. I work shorter days, and don't take any stress of the jobs home with me. Because I work in town, gone is the 20 minute drive to and from work. We have downsized by one vehicle, and I walk everywhere I need to go here. We live in a small town, so walking is absolutely feasible. So where I used to have a 20 minute drive, I now have a 15 minute walk.Thanks to less stress and walking everywhere, I am down 41 pounds and feeling better than I have in years.

I had a huge garden this year, and canned dozens of jars of food for the winter - applesauce, grape and cranberry juices, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, and more. I froze veggies and fruits also - filling our freezer with amazing produce to enjoy this winter. I am cooking real meals for my family, as well as for several of my friends - using fresh ingredients, making everything from scratch. I have learned to make bread from scratch. (Still a lot to learn, but I'm no longer afraid!).

I joined the LWML at church, and spend more time there. I also was able to spend some time volunteering for CMN and for our parents group through the sports at school (writing articles, feeding the kids.) I do feel I need to do more, and this morning at church felt God was talking to me about it.

Most of all, our entire family has changed. While there have been many things we've had to change - we found that most of those changes were wasteful things we didn't need. We spend less, and we have more. More time together. More quality time. We are all happier. I love being able to cook for my boys, and make sure they have real food for lunch. I love creating quality family time. I love being able to spend a day visiting my amazing daughter. I love having family holidays and events.

In the last year, I've applied for a couple of jobs, but didn't get them. I'm not sure that I at this point want to go back to work in a high stress situation. I have really enjoyed downsizing my life, simplifying, and getting back to basics.

I know there are so many who are shocked at what I "threw away" when I left my job. The money, the prestige, and the benefits. But I also threw away the stress, and am giving back to my family in ways that a working mother rarely can. For the first 6 months after leaving, I didn't work at all. And we learned to live on a lot less. I don't know that we truly want for anything. Sure, I'd have a Kindle, and a smart phone, and maybe a nicer tv and clothes. But none of those things would make me any happier than I am right now.

I don't know that I expected to be working part time when I left my job. We really didn't know what the plan was, just that it was something different. I am so Blessed to be able to do this. I've been doing a lot of introspection this last week, as the impending "anniversary" approached. Time to take stock, of what worked, and what didn't, in this last year.

Most of all, the decision to change my life, to take control of my life, brought me happiness. Happineess I had not known for several years. Gone are the days of feeling obligated. Obligated to do what others expect me to do. I am happy to report that I make decisions on my life now. Decisions that make the best sense for my family and those I love. Most importantly, I need to make sure that happiness is the motivator for all that we do.

I have ideas. Not sure where they will take me. But I have ideas. Ideas I never thought I'd have. Wish me luck. We'll see you in another year, and see where I am at. For now, I'm happy to be here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very proud to be your friend and of all you do and that you are happy

Merri said...

I am happy that you are happy Melissa! It takes a lot of courage & faith to do what you did! Congrats on the weight loss too!