There is nothing like experiencing the seasons through the eyes of a foodie. In spring, the fresh peas, and greens, then all summer long with berries, summer squash, corn, and beans, oh....so good. Late summer brought me lots of tomatoes, and peppers, cabbage, apples, and squash.
This week's vegetable is cabbage, a big beautiful gift from a friend. So yesterday I found some cooked brown rice in the fridge, as well as some of my fresh tomato sauce (Italian style - with garlic, onion, carrot, and bell pepper). Added some ground beef (from our local farmer), an egg, and made the filling for cabbage rolls. Oh, they were wonderful.
Today I took the rest of the cabbage, sauteed it in butter with an onion, some paprika, salt, and pepper. Once it was soft, I added chicken stock, and let it simmer. Paired it with fresh out of the oven whole wheat bread, and my lunch was AMAZING.
The hubby just came home with a bag of apples from a local orchard, so the rest of the week I will make some apple pies, crisps, and sauce.
I just love the harvest.
No comments:
Post a Comment