Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the election...

I am not an outwardly political person. I have my views, which don't stray much, but I don't often discuss them. I'll discuss the state of the world, but very seldom speak of my own political views. I am Republican. Conservative, Lutheran, small town mid-America Republican. Have been my whole life.

There were two big decisions happening in my realm last night. One being the president, another a school referendum in our district.

I voted for John McCain. But I'm ok with Barack Obama being president. And that is not something I've said in past democratic victories. I remember 1992 watching elections with a girlfriend in Omaha. Talking to ourselves that the US would not be stupid enough to elect Bill Clinton. We were smarter than that, right? Yeah. I was wrong. Then, I was worried. I worried about what would happen. And look what did!

But I truly think that President - Elect Obama will do a fine job. I have respect for him. I think he will be fine. This country needs a change, and I sincerely hope that our government can do something.

On the second matte, we had a referendum. First time ever that our school district has had to ask for more money just to pay the bills. Things up to be cut directly affect my children - Jr. High sports, drama, pep band, FFA. Again, I'm not vocal about my support. That's just not my style. But I was very in support of it. How can we not invest in our children? My husband didn't agree. I know for a fact he voted against it.

Last night the first return we saw was a draw - 57 for, 56 against. And I became angry. I for the first time started worrying that the referendum would not pass. And my husband voted against it. I don't think he felt it would affect us. A no vote would mean no jr high sports for our son, no drama for our daughter. No pep band for either. I should have spoken up sooner. But I have a hard time showing that passion.

Luckily - the referendum passed, and all is ok. And I think in the end, DH realized the need to really think about issues like this.

No comments: