Today was another one of those great unexpected life experiences. I had the day off - taken to set up my garage sale for tomorrow. I always rush when setting them up on Friday night, so I thought I would take the day to myself to enjoy the process....
BUT. My DH had made plans with his parents to attend an auction. Not a normal auction, a PRODUCE auction. Now - I'd never heard of a produce auction before. They had gone for the first time earlier in the week, and invited DH to go. He asked if I was interested. I threw my towel in on taking my time with the sale and said sure.
We started with breakfast at their house, then drove the hour to the sale. It was one of the neatest things I've experienced in a long time. Basically, it's a modern day market square - but an auction. Growers from all over the area bring their goods, register the lot, and buyers from all over the area bid on them.
I'm a big fan of farmer's markets. Of buying local. So this was amazing. Bushels upon bushels of tomatos, onions, peppers, sweet corn, peaches, pumpkins, gourds, squash, flowers, and nearly every type of vegetable you can think of. It was SO hard not to bid on it all! It was an entire pole shed filled - with people milling about, drinking coffee, chatting about the weather, the crops, the election, oil prices... Just a small town Midwest country day. Something that I, as a working woman, wouldn't normally get to experience.
The thrill of bidding, and WINNING my prizes was amazing. We came home with a truck loaded down with watermelon, sweet corn, bell peppers, pumpkins, and peaches. All day long I thought of all the veggies and fruits I could freeze and can, all the recipes I can prepare. I can't wait for the weekend to play! I'm filled with daydreams of peach kuchen, and frozen sweet corn, and my next visit to the market!
No comments:
Post a Comment