Wednesday, January 23, 2008

time flies by...

Last night I had the pleasure of watching my eldest daughter play an amazing game of basketball. She is a sophomore, and plays JV, starting at post. She had a great game - 10 points, several assists, two blocks, more than two steals. Even the varsity coach pulled her aside after the game to tell her "great game".

She stayed to tape the varsity game, but I opted to leave, as it was 45 minutes from home, and I'd yet to get there. Gone straight from work. So I had 45 minutes to think. Down time.

It is so hard to fathom that I only have 2 more years with her. In two years, she'll be moving out to college. Two more years of hearing the stories from school, of watching ball, of taking her places, of hanging out and shopping. And that makes me so sad. My baby is growing up way too quickly.

I was a single mom. I had my daughter right after college. It was just the two of us. And honestly, when I decided to keep her, I never pictured anyone in our lives. I really thought it would just be the two of us for the long haul. Fortunately for us, we found my husband, who has become an amazing father to her.

I can't believe that our years of being buds, mother and daughter, are coming to the cross roads of her adulthood. I can imagine how much fun we are going to have going forward - traveling, etc., but it is going to be different. We won't have her laughing, her sarcasm, her wit, around us every day. While we still have her little brother, the mix will definitely change. Just thinking about it makes me cry.

I vow to spend as much time with both my children as I can. These days are numbered and precious, and I'm not giving anything up!

No comments: