I found myself this evening with an unexpected surprise..solitude. With my husband at work, and the carnival downtown luring my kids, I have the house to myself.
My oldest child is now a senior, one year before she leaves the nest. My son, five years later. I've gotten several glimpses at "empty nest" like tonight, and I have to say that solitude is not a bad thing to me.
I finished decorating for my party tomorrow. I weeded the garden. I weeded the flower bed. I took breaks reading my book and enjoying an iced latte. And then, I cut fresh lettuce and spinach from the garden for my dinner.
Solitude in itself is such a gift. In today's world, so many of us rush around day in and day out, from one thing to another. Transporting kids, watching them perform, going to work, doing the shopping, and all of the other countless things we do.
It's not easy to find down time, time to just exist. To enjoy a fresh salad, to read a good book, or to just sit. I challenge you each to find some time to enjoy the solitude. Regain that gift of time to yourself. It is truly a gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment