Wednesday, September 19, 2007

aging parents

Had a rough lunch with dad today. He asked again about Mom, asked me to recount what happened before she died. He has no idea how hard that is for me. But he honestly just doesn't remember. It's not his fault. And I want to help as much as I can. He asked me to write it all down, so he can keep it at his spot, and read it when he forgets. I tried so hard not to cry. Did pretty well actually. You'd think after this long I would be able to talk about it. But it's still hard. After 16 months...

Dad still makes me smile. While waiting for Ken, I told Dad all about my weekend in Iron Belt. (I had already told him on Monday, but he forgot.) As soon as Ken arrived with lunch, he told dad he had been to Iron Belt on Saturday (not knowing I'd just told him), but Dad got all excited and asked questions - didn't remember a lick of the conversation we'd just had. I feel so bad for him, but love the fact that he doesn't let it get him down. He's frustrated, but not to the point that he's angry. We are so Blessed with that.

No comments: