Thursday, April 16, 2009

almost three weeks????

I cannot believe it's been almost three weeks.... I had finals for school (got A's in both classes!), as well as final papers, etc., RIGHT before going to DC with Allie over spring break. So it was a pretty hectic time!

I want to reflect on Lent. I am not Catholic (although I admire some of their traditions). But I've tried in the past to use Lent to try to refocus my Faith, concentrate on it a bit more. Never very successful. Oh, I'm great for the first couple of weeks, and then it fades. And I am angry with myself every year.

This year I mulled over what I could do to focus on Jesus' suffering and sacrifice for 6 weeks... The only thing I could think of was to give up coffee. Anyone who knows me knows that coffee is my thing. I love the smell, the taste, have my kitchen covered in it. It's always been my thing, since about 6th grade. So I decided that I would give up coffee.

For six weeks, many times each day, I would see coffee, or worse yet SMELL coffee, and think to myself - - "Jesus suffered for me. Jesus DIED for me. For ME, a poor sinner." It was the first time that I truly took time every day to meditate on the Lenten season. I hope that my last six weeks can hang around a little longer. I need Him in my life. He is who makes me who I am.

No comments: