Friday, March 21, 2008

on expectations

Today was a great day at work. Started out with a great email from a coworker about one of my workers. Then, I got a GREAT review and a substantial raise! A surprise, none-the-less. I waited all day to call my DH and let him know the great news.

When I finally reached him around 2pm, he had very little to say. Made a joke about quitting his job because I was making more than him. That was it. I fell silent. All I needed was a "great job" or a "Wow, that's great - you have worked hard and it's paying off", or SOMETHING.

I'm not sure why I didn't get it.

I know that deep down, he's traditional, and maybe it's hard for him to have a successful wife. But spending the money is never hard.

He yells at me for working over time - telling me that I'm only getting paid for 40 hours, why do I push myself so hard. Now, when it's paying off, he won't even acknowledge that it's worth it.

I'm emotionally devastated. I try very hard to do a good job at work, and am finally getting noted for it, and the ONLY person I can actually tell doesn't care.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm excited for you! I think it's great and you totally deserve it!

Love ya!